Oh and by the way, there are different rules for private keys held on
hardware tokens.

The Classic Authentication profile (V4.3) from IGTF says:

"A certificate whose private key is managed in a software-based token
should only be re-keyed, not
renewed. Certificates associated with a private key restricted solely to a
hardware token may be
renewed for a period of up to 5 years (for equivalent RSA key lengths of
2048 bits) or 3 years (for
equivalent RSA key lengths of 1024 bits).
Certifications must not be renewed or re-keyed for more than 5 years
without a form of auditable
identity and eligibility verification, and this procedure must be
described in the CP/CPS."

So, if anyone has host certificates on hardware tokens (perhaps there are
none?), in this case it will be necessary to re-key.  I imagine the
certificate wizard does not cater for hardware tokens (I haven't checked).

Regards

Dave

Dr David Kelsey
Particle Physics Department