John(K), all,

Here's my catchup email....

First problem - Do we need New certificates?

Answer: I've contacted Leif Nixon directly, and this is (part of) his
response:

 > For all hosts that were vulnerable, you should get a completely
 > new certificate; i.e. generate a new private and public key pair
 > and get a certificate based on that. (The precise procedure for
 > this depends on your particular CA, of course.)

So if we "renew" a certificate, does the "renewed" a certificate
have different keys to the original one?  If "renewal"  does result in
new keys, then it is perfectly OK to simply renew the  certificate in
the normal manner, as we do each year.

If "renewal"  does not result in new keys, then it is not the right
procedure. In which case, we all have to go the full loop and get
completely new certificates (generating new key pairs).

Second problem - Assuming we need to, how do we get
New certificates without breaking systems.

Answer: Up in the air at the moment. The choices I can see are:

A) Use workaround  (get a friendly RA Op from another RA to request
     the revocation for me,  and persuade my RA Op's approval to delay
     the process).

   Pros: ready now (but needs testing?)
   Cons: Fragile process. Multiple unknown RA Ops (local and remote) who
   need to be  identified, informed and  synchronised.

B) Find a slicker procedure to get it done without multiple RA Ops

   Pros: Reduces screw-ups
   Cons: not ready now

C) Use existing procedure: https://www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/Grid_Certificate
   This works around the block on hosts with multiple, simultaneous
certificates
   by using a new host DN.

   Pros: It's ready now (but needs testing)
   Cons: DN needs to change, with multiple external impacts.

So there it is. Food for thought. eh?

Steve