See below.

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 9:48 PM, Andy Yeung <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I saw Buchel et al (Neuroimage 1998) explaining the use of parametric
> modulation (PM) to show regionally specific word rate-dependent
> timecourses. Is PM by nature a regression analysis showing regions of BOLD
> signal having a linear relationship with some covariates/regressors?

Yes.

> If so, will the meaning and result be different if I employ different
> models for 2nd level, eg 1 sample t-test with covariate or multiple
> regression with covariate?

If the design matrix is the same, then you will get the same result. You
can get the same design with a one-sample t-test with a covariate and
multiple regression (which by definition has a covariate). SPM uses the
GLM, so if the designs and variance settings are the same, both modules
will lead to the same result.

> Someone says multiple regression uses f test, does it mean we need further
> 1 sample t-test to test for direction? If so, why not start with 1 sample
> t-test?

There are two things here:
(1) Your model - both the one sample t-test and multiple regression can
create the same GLM
(2) Contrasts - these are either F-tests or T-tests. Both contrast
approaches can be used with either model (one sample or multiple regression.

F-tests are non-directional. If you don't have a predicted direction of the
effect, then you should use the F-test. If you are testing the slope is
greater than/less than 0 or another slope, then you can use T-test.

If the F-test contrast is a vector, then the F-test with be the T-test
squared. (F=T^2). The significance of the F-test will be half the T-test
(e.g. if T=0.01, then F=0.02).

Hope this helps.