From: Dr Alan N Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 16 April 2014 1:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Books on British India

Books on the Raj seem to be concerned only with battles (e.g. Moon's book The Conquest and Dominion of India). I have been looking for a "social" history of the period: the life of the people; the British development of railways, roads, irrigation, health services and the rule of law; the growth of Indian industries and political movements etc.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

My other query is about the source of power for the printing presses when RK was a young journalist e.g. his description of the printing room in The Man Who Would Be King. My reading indicates that kerosene (paraffin) was widely used for steam generation at this time, but coal of course would have been available wherever the railways reached. There certainly wouldn't have been electric power. Can anyone shed light on this matter?