Hi Anna - also important to be clear about the different requirements and costs for data storage for active data management on the one hand, and longer term preservation for reuse and discovery on the other. A mixture of internal and external resources likely to be required, as others have identified, potentially varying from use case to use case across an institution. I say use case rather than discipline as there is a huge range of needs just within one discipline - from the big missions to the long tail of individuals and small collaborations including in the sciences.

But I think it is becoming more feasible to line up a range of such internal and external services, as needed, to provide for the majority of use cases.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Dr Jonathan Tedds                                            Tel: +44 (0)116 229 7780<tel:%2B44%20%280%29116%20229%207780>
Senior Research Fellow<http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/jonathan-tedds/16/79b/769>,                                                  (0)779 504 6277<tel:(0)779%20504%206277>
Director: Health And Research Data Informatics           (Health Sciences<http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/health-sciences/research/gen-epi>)
@jtedds<http://twitter.com/jtedds>
PI, Biomedical Research Infrastructure Software Service (#BRISSKit<http://brisskit.le.ac.uk/>)
PI, #PREPARDE<http://www.le.ac.uk/projects/preparde/> & Co-Chair Research Data Alliance Publishing Data
Astronomical Surveys & e-Research<http://xmmssc-www.star.le.ac.uk/~jat> (Physics & Astronomy<http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/physics/research/xroa>)
University of Leicester<http://www2.le.ac.uk/>
Leicester LE1 7RH, UK                                           Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>