I was interested on Jonathan's move into naming and discussing different philosophies (constructivism, empiricism, positivism), and had been meaning to look them up, as my dips into the history of philosophy usually leave me a little more informed, but also more confused.  So, spurred on by Fergus' assertion of things that are 'fact', I did look further (in Wikipedia - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructivist_epistemology, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_science) and I am indeed more confused, both with the number of different ideas and what they are saying, and if they are agreeing or not.  Naming objects in the world is contentious enough, but trying to get a handle on what is meant by the name for a way of thinking feels like trying to grab a handful of eels.  I'm attracted to what Jonathan calls constructivism (though that word is unhelpfully used for multiple different theories of knowledge), but if I read up on it, other people define it (and its defining features) differently, and I may not agree with those, or see the key differences to another theory.

In the end though, my prejudice is that I see and interpret the world through my mind, and I make up a story about it.  Others do the same, and it may be that we can write something on which we appear to agree, but (a) I can't know what they are really believing and (b) I still see them as stories.  Though a life-long scientist, I don't see any fundamental truths which couldn't be questioned, though I happily use them as a convenience and because they seem to work pretty well.

So I come back to Fergus' assertion that there are some things that 'are fact, but it's hard to draw the line'.  That is not how I see the world or science either at a theoretical level or at a level of what experiments prove; I wonder if the best way of explaining to people if you are a teacher is always with a careful 'seems' or 'experiments suggest' - or even describe the experiment and ask the students what they think it means (allowing them to understand the foundations of the current paradigm). Or if I'm with a group of people with a similar background, we can use the words 'is' and 'fact' and 'prove' recognizing that they're shorthand (and I like the sentence in Wikipedia on Truth: "The predicate 'true' is an expressive convenience".  I'm also with Richard Feynman that "We never are definitely right".

Maybe there is a line between what is 'accepted' or for which there is 'considerable evidence', and the rest, but for me it's not a line between 'proven' and 'not proven', but between 'strong evidence and fits with the rest of what we believe' and 'weaker evidence, and/or doesn't fit with other observations or theories'.  And I may quite possibly be wrong.