I am really pleased to see other scientists having this discussion. It has
been lonely at times trying to explain to laypersons that the empiricist
and positivist philosophies of science are not the only ones.

My philosophy of science has been founded on constructivism - the idea that
one cannot separate researcher from research and any claims to objectivity
and eliminating researcher bias are flawed from the outset. You just have
to look at factor analysis to see that empirically collected data using a
positivist analysis can produce outcomes that will have been based on a
rotation which most fits the outcome the researcher wants.

Here are some paradoxes:

   - A constructivist's philosophy of science is that each person has their
   own version of the truth - but that in itself is a version of the truth!
   - An empiricist believes that that truth comes from objectively
   observing the materialist elements of the environment. But to do that
   requires internal thoughts to interpret them.
   - A positivist believes that objective methods such as verified
   statistical tests provide the truth in the way that internal thoughts
   however logical cannot. But the equations they are using came from the
   logical thinking of the humans that created them.

Often laypersons believe that the empiricist approach needed in natural
science is "science". They also often think, as has been said, that
anything described as science must have been through a positivist approach
making it therefore "true."

What is worse for me as a constructivist is when someone presents their
version of the truth as if it is *the* truth!

Of course this post is just my version of the truth - or if Neil's truth is
right, my belief! :-)

Jonathan Bishop BSc(Hons), MSc, MScEcon