From: Plagiarism [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Wells, Julian [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 30 April 2014 09:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Turnitin for teaching

Nathan,

It's not really correct to say that "Turnitin detects only one thing - copy and paste of text".

First, it doesn't *even* detect that — as everyone on this list would probably say, were the question put directly, TII only detects matching text strings.

Second, one may *infer* cut-and-paste from the nature of the matches found, but equally I see many (probably more) cases where ineffective and unskilled attempts at summary, paraphrasing or précis would be at least a more charitable explanation.

Discovering what is actually the case will depend on the personal engagement with individual students recommended in other contributions to this thread.

Best wishes,

Julian