From: JiscMail Helpline <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: 11 April 2014 15:53:59 GMT+01:00
To: <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: [OWNERS-ANNOUNCE] Issue affecting Yahoo email subscribers to lists

OWNERS-ANNOUNCE: You have received this message because you are registered as an owner of a JiscMail mailing list.

Yahoo have changed their security settings in a way that causes emails sent through a mailing list service to be identified as junk-mail by email providers that using certain security systems. This causes many email providers including Google, Microsoft and Yahoo themselves, to reject any list emails originating from a Yahoo account. These rejections, can in some cases, cause subscribers to be removed from lists due to the number of rejected messages.

In order to protect our subscribers and our service we have been advised to stop Yahoo subscribers from posting to *any* JiscMail lists and we have implemented this change.

Yahoo subscribers will still receive messages from lists.

If a Yahoo subscriber tries to post to your list, the message will be forwarded to the list owner(s) with this message:
The enclosed message, found in the L-SOFT mailbox and shown under the spool
ID 278571919 in the system log, has  been identified as a possible delivery
Error notice for the  following reason: mail origin is listed  in the "Filter="
List header keyword (or its default value for the L-SOFT list).

Unfortunately this message cannot be edited.

We would also recommend that if you have subscribers on your list using Yahoo email accounts then we would ask you to:
1. Post a message to your list (or contact them off the list) and pass on the information from this message.
2. Ask your Yahoo subscribers to re-join your list using a non-Yahoo email service provider.
3. Ask your Yahoo subscribers to contact Yahoo to complain about the changes to their security settings.

We are also posting this message to JISCMAIL-NEWSLETTER but are aware that not all of our subscribers are members of this list, so you may wish to post this message to your list.

We have stopped email addresses being automatically deleted from lists - in case Yahoo subscribers have already posted to lists.

More information on this issue can be read here:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247512/Yahoo_email_anti_spoofing_policy_breaks_mailing_lists?pageNumber=1

Sorry for the inconvenience and hassle that this causes, and we'll keep you updated.

Thanks,

Lisa

--
Lisa Vincent

Operations Manager
0191 222 8179

JISCMail is a Jisc Service

JiscMail Helpline routinely updates the subscription of this list with all current list owners and resets subscription settings to ensure all list owners receive all messages from this list.

If you do not believe you should have received this message, please contact [log in to unmask]

Beryl Graham, Professor of New Media Art
CRUMB web resource for new media art curators http://www.crumbweb.org
Research Student Manager, Art and Design
MA Curating Course Leader http://www.macurating.net

Faculty of Arts, Design, and Media, University of Sunderland
The David Puttnam Media Centre, St Peter's Way, Sunderland, SR6 0DD  Tel: +44 191 515 2896

Recent books:
New Collecting: Exhibiting and Audiences Ashgate<https://www.ashgate.com/default.aspx?page=637&calcTitle=1&title_id=11968&edition_id=12342>
Rethinking Curating: Art After New Media MIT Press<http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=12071>
A Brief History of Curating New Media Art The Green Box<http://www.thegreenbox.net/>