I suspect the grey ring around the shaft visible on Google Earth is simply the ploughed out spoil tip. You might hope to find some evidence of industrial working/burning (as suggested by Graham) as a soil mark in the general vicinity of the shaft if it is surrounded by arable fields.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Graham Owens
Sent: 08 April 2014 11:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cinder pits

Mike

Is it possible that the name of the pit is associated with a parcel of land known as 'Cinder Hills'
which predates the pit?

I am aware of at least four areas of land around Leeds that has parcel of lands known 'Cinder Hills' which have been associated with a variety of processes involving burning materials [See Leeds Tithe Project]. There is another area in the NE of Leeds in the Wyke Beck Valley (Roundhay) shown on old Estate Plans as 'Cynder Hills' which is associated with medieval bloomeries that used locally won charcoal and blackband ironstone.

It might be worth consulting the appropriate tithe maps http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/Maps1.aspx and see if these shed any light?

Regards
Graham

--

If you need to leave the list, send the following message to [log in to unmask] -

leave mining-history
---------