I hope this isn’t too far OT.

I’ve just got back from walking the Stations of the Cross in my (Church of England) parish church. And something struck me as a bit odd.

The fourteen panels are arranged in order staring at the EAST end of the NORTH aisle; seven stations later we are at the WEST end of the NORTH aisle. The final seven stations start at the WEST end of the SOUTH aisle and continue to the EAST end of the SOUTH aisle (and incidentally to the entrance to the Lady Chapel).

Now it struck me forcibly that we had been walking round the inside of a church WIDDERSHINS!!! (Walking round the OUTSIDE of a church WIDDERSHINS – that is counter-clockwise – is considered to be at best unlucky, at worst asking for demonic trouble.)

Is this a mistake by our predecessors (the Stations were put up some time in the 1950s.) and ought it to be corrected ?

I have checked a number of websites but none of them describe the relative architectural location of the images / pictures they employ.

Can any of the list tell me

if they have experiences a “widdershins” layout of the SoX in a church or is it normally the other way round ? (ie clockwise)

Does it matter ? Is there anything laid down about their configuration ? (I do know that Stations must have a cross somewhere in the design.)

Any other thoughts about walking round churches widdershins?

Brenda

Brenda M Cook
Independent Scholar.