Good morning MCG'ers!

I have a question for an article I am writing at the moment, and would
welcome any pointers or links you can share.

I'm looking at how museums can use collections items to engage audiences
via social platforms. There seems to be a bit of a trend for museums to
identify one or two things from the collection that are either quirky or
unique, and to use these via social media to humanise the museum and
engage audiences. I'm thinking particularly of things like the cheese
horse and the pseudosiren at the Horniman which are both unusual in
their own right and invite further investigation by the curious.

Although, obviously, there's no guarantee of virality, it does seem as
though some of these objects are selected more for sharing and immediate
interest value than for any more generally curatorial purpose.

I would really love to hear about any museums that have selected objects
and images from their collections for their social sharing value, and
any information you can share about how they were chosen!

With thanks,

Nick

Nick Poole
Chief Executive Officer
Collections Trust

  <http://www.openculture2014.org.uk/>

Join the Collections Trust's Collections Management LinkedIn group
<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3280471&trk=my_groups-b-grp-v>  -
6000 collections professionals worldwide!

Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/collectiontrust
<http://www.twitter.com/collectiontrust>

Visit Collections Trust online

www.collectionstrust.org.uk <http://www.collectionstrust.org.uk/>

www.collectionslink.org.uk <http://www.collectionslink.org.uk/>

www.culturegrid.org.uk <http://www.culturegrid.org.uk/>

Company Registration No: 1300565 Registered Charity No: 273984

Registered Office: Collections Trust, WC 209, Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg