Dear Lis-Bibliometrics colleagues,

We are currently looking at measures to assess the citation performance of academic staff as part of an annual review process.  To make things slightly fairer, it has been suggested that we utilise either the 5-year h-index or the h5.  I just wanted to check my understanding of the two with my esteemed colleagues!

Am I right in thinking that:

-          The 5-year h-index includes citations accrued in the last five years from publications published prior to, and including, this time window.   This is available via Google Scholar.

-          The h5 index includes only citations from articles published in the last 5 years.  This can be calculated using WoS and Scopus?

Does anyone else have any experience of using either of these measures – or any adjustments to my understanding of the two?

Many thanks all,
Lizzie

Elizabeth Gadd

Change Projects Team

Vice-Chancellor’s Office

Room 201.0.27

Hazlerigg Building

Loughborough University

LE11 3TU

Tel: +44 (0)1509 222308

better-web-banner 20PC

Let us know how we might do things better

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/better/