From: Giuseppe Gazzola <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:30 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: [I-S] 'Wager' and 'Suspicious husband' themes in European literature pre-1700

italian-studies: Scholarly discussions in any field of Italian studies Dear friends and colleagues,

I am looking for occurrences of the ‘wager’ and the ‘suspicious husband’ themes in pre-1700 European literature, for a course in preparation.

The ‘wager theme’ concerns a man who publicly declares his confidence in his wife’s fidelity, and wagers that she cannot be seduced by a supposed follower. It usually includes a bet between the husband and another man, then a trial of the affections of the wife. An example of this theme is Dec. II, 9: Barnabò da Genova.

The basic story of the ‘suspicious husband’ has the husband disguising himself and testing his wife’s virtue by attempting to seduce her as a stranger, as it happens in Fur. XXXXII-XXXXIII, in the episode of the Mantuan knight recounted to Rinaldo.

I will be grateful for every and any lead and will share the list with anyone who requests it.

Many thanks in advance,
Giuseppe Gazzola

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies