A colleague sent me this today; it’s an interesting overview of what’s
happened in other areas of science, as well as in the social sciences ..
although I am not in agreement with their solution based on the use of
impact factors and citation counts.

Trimble, S.W., Grody, W.W., McKelvey, B., & Gad-el-Hak, M. (2010). The glut
of academic publishing: A call for a new culture. Academic Questions, 23, 3,
276-286.

It begins:

Academic publishing has already reached a point where too much material of
too little substance is being published, and this trend is continuing. The
ostensible reason for academic publishing is to communicate useful
information to academic peers. But of all papers published in the top
scientific journals (i.e., those listed in the citation index ISI Web of
Knowledge)—7,279 science and social science journals from 2002 through
2006—only 40.6 percent were cited at least once in the five years following
publication. More recent compilations with large databases indicate much the
same proportions. Moreover, evidence suggests that social science papers are
cited at a significantly lower level. And it should be noted that this
includes self-citations: deleting these might lower the number considerably.
In 1981, the total number of journals was 74,000 and by 1990 that number had
risen to 108,500. By 2003, the total reached 172,000. Yet, we regularly see
the creation of new journals in our fields every year. While we have no
citation statistics for the large group of lesser journals, it would be a
reasonable assumption that they are cited at a much lower level than the
40.6 percent indicated above. And we believe it might be reasonable to ask
if some of these journals should continue, or at least be purchased by
libraries.

From p. 281:

“A real contribution to a field often questions conventional wisdom, arguing
that some well-established scholars may be in error. Such articles can be
difficult to get past referees and editors. Juan Miguel Companario has
reviewed many Nobel Prize laureates whose papers were rejected several times
before being accepted. These examples range from Svante Arrhenius (1903) to
Günter Blobel (1999), and the problem often obtains even for lesser mortals
who submit ground-breaking papers.

Methods of producing many papers are well known. The most common is to
include just enough contribution to be recognized as such in a single
paper—just enough to be reluctantly accepted. These articles are sometimes
referred to as “Least Publishable Units” (LPUs). Thus, multiple papers are
required to deliver the full message. Rather than being challenged by the
work, leaders in the field may in fact be patronized with citations and
fawning comments to obtain their favor. The paper is then fleshed out to
reach a respectable length. Sequential papers often contain much overlap, a
device known as “shingling,” and are usually sent to different journals,
sometimes simultaneously. The route to having many papers published can be a
low road.  ”

And from some excepts taken from the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Write-Badly-Succeed-Sciences/dp/1107676983 :

In the blog article by Timothy Taylor:

http://conversableeconomist.blogspot.de/2014/03/how-academics-learn-to-write
-badly.html

“In the late 1960s, only a minority of those working in American four-year
higher educational colleges tended to publish regularly; today over sixty
per cent do ... In 1969 only half of American academics in universities had
published during the previous two years; by the late 1990s, the figure had
risen to two-thirds, with even higher proportions in the research
universities. The number of prolific publishers is increasing. In American
universities the proportion of faculty, who had published five or more
publications in the previous two years, exploded from a quarter in 1987 to
nearly two-thirds by 1998, with the rise in the natural and social sciences
particularly noticeable ...”

Boy, do we need field leadership and the courage to stand firm and reject
outright the constant stream of low-impact and low-explanatory accuracy
articles from both the famous and students alike. Let those who seek to
publish such trivia suddenly find they are forced to publish in the latest
pop-up Internet Journal which ironically will signify an article of no
substantive interest.

What matters to me are substantive ideas (controversial or otherwise), lines
of argument, and efforts to show why a result should be considered important
(from a theoretical or practical perspective). And no spinning low effect
sizes as something more than they indicate (low effect)  - unless there is a
really significant reason why that effect should be considered more than
simple statistical dross.

Yep, now you see why it needs personal courage and a visionary sense of
field-leadership. But it would also take courage and a hefty dose of
computational ROI/longitudinal trajectory market-modeling from a journal
publisher to back such an initiative.

But maybe it’s just me finding I’m being swamped with requests to review
articles from many different journals that are of increasingly trivial
substance? Anyone out there with their own impressions?

Regards .. Paul

Chief Research Scientist

Cognadev.com

______

W:  <http://www.pbarrett.net/> www.cognadev.com

W:  <http://www.pbarrett.net/> www.pbarrett.net

E:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

M: +64-(0)21-415625