Greetings,

Can anyone clarify for me what is meant by the term "stratigraphic hangingwall"?  A quick google search reveals many instances where the phrase is used, but I can't find a definition anywhere. The term looks odd to my eye, since I was taught that stratigraphy refers to the order in which a sequence of rocks (especially sedimentary) was deposited, and that a hangingwall is the set of rocks located above a given fault (e.g. those hanging overhead if one stands in a mine located along along the fault plane).  Given those definitions I am at a loss as to what exactly is meant when the one is used as a modifier for the other.

Thanks,

--Riia

Riia M. Chmielowski
Assistant Lecturer, LTU
Email:  [log in to unmask]
Phone: +46 (0)920 492033
Mobile: +46 72-539 07 76
Fax: +46-920-491199
LTU Room: F833
http://ltu-se.academia.edu/RiiaChmielowski

Postal address:
Luleå University of Technology
Department of Civil, Environmental and Natural Resources Engineering
Division of Geosciences
Riia M. Chmielowski
SE-971 87 Luleå Sweden