Hi,

Does anyone know of any good resources, training or meetings, online discussions (etc) about delivering reminiscence sessions or guided tours for people with dementia?

We have found during our museum tours and object-handling sessions for visually impaired or disabled groups that occasionally someone will have a certain level of dementia, but still enjoy the descriptions and dressing up, and often be prompted to remember and share interesting stories and memories. We’d like to offer more for groups like this, it seems to be something that local care homes would appreciate, but we do need some guidance to help when a group seems relatively unresponsive, or struggles to communicate. Unfortunately, we can’t afford expensive or distant training courses! We’re based in Haddington, East Lothian.

Many thanks for any advice.

Helen

Helen Bleck

John Gray Centre Heritage Resources Development Officer (Haddington)

Tel: 01620 820610

Blog: http://www.johngraycentre.org/connect/blog/

Website: http://www.johngraycentre.org

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JohnGrayCentre

Twitter: @JohnGrayCentre

Please note: I work Monday to Wednesday. On Thursday and Friday please contact my jobshare partner David Anderson ([log in to unmask]).

Email Disclaimer - East Lothian Council
the sender and ensure it is deleted and not read copied or disclosed
to anyone else. It is your responsibility to scan this email and any
attachments for computer viruses or other defects. East Lothian
Council do not accept liability for any loss or damage which may
result from this email or any files attached. Email is not secure and
can be intercepted, corrupted or amended without the knowledge of the
sender. East Lothian Council do not accept liability for errors or
omissions arising as a result of interrupted or defective transmission.