Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 06:41:54 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] first_flirt three step registration
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Alain,

In general the use of masks makes the registration less robust and more likely to go catastrophically wrong, as it has in this case.  When the mask is very tight this is more likely, as it removes the useful border area from the calculation, and if it is only within one region without any border at all then the registration has no information from the edges at the boundaries, which is crucial for the registrations to work.  So we normally dilate our masks so that the border information is included.

This being said, I'm not sure if you will gain much from using even a dilated mask, unless you are clearly seeing systematic misregistrations in your data.  It isn't something where a little bit more accuracy in the registration is likely to make much difference, as the boundary mesh is deformed from the initial starting position and small differences in the initial starting position normally have no discernible impact.

All the best,
Mark