Hi,

We recommend that you demean your scores as a single set of values before splitting them into separate groups (for your separate EVs).  If you do this then you still get the adjustment for any consistent difference between the mean scores in the two groups.  The demeaning method won't actually affect the contrasts that only look at the correlations of the scores, but will affect the contrasts that look at the mean activations of the two groups.  However, your contrasts are not right.  If your first two EVs are indicators (values of 1 for one group and values of 0 for the other group) and the second two EVs are the demeaned performance scores, then the contrasts you would use would be:
   1  0  0  0    mean patient activation
   0  1  0  0    mean control activation
   1 -1  0  0    patients > controls
  -1  1  0  0    controls > patients
   0  0  1  0    patient (positive) correlation    -  of performance score and BOLD activation
   0  0 -1  0    patient (negative) correlation
   0  0  0  1    control (postive) correlation
   0  0  0 -1    control (negative) correlation
   0  0  1 -1    patients correlation > controls correlation
   0  0 -1  1    controls correlation > patients correlation

I hope this helps.

All the best,
Mark