FreeSurfer BBR is generally slightly more accurate than FLIRT BBR, probably
because of the much higher quality surface being used (i.e. the FLIRT BBR
makes a quick white matter surface based on a FAST segmentation, whereas
FreeSurferıs white matter surface is based on a lot more processing).  For
HCP Minimal Preprocessing Pipelines where we cared about getting the
alignment right down to submm levels, we used both (FLIRT BBR first and then
FreeSurfer BBR).

Whether or not it is better to use the field map with FLIRT BBR or apply it
before depends on how good of a field map to EPI registration you can get
outside of FLIRT BBR vs a field map to structural registration (and EPI to
structural registration) inside FLIRT BBR (i.e. epi_reg).  Generally one
does a better job inside of FLIRT BBR, but this is not always the case.
Also, it can be harder to debug what is going wrong when the steps are not
separated (is my registration not good because the distortion correction is
not good, or because the EPI to structural registration is not good?).

I actually prefer using spin echo field maps (phase reversed spin echo
images matched to the gradient echo EPI acquisition) and topup, as these
have the same distortion as the gradient echo EPIs and can be very precisely
registered (EPI to matching spin echo image) without the complication of
using the structural image as an intermediate.  Then one can use BBR on the
undistorted EPI image.  This keeps each step separate for debugging and
³easy² for the algorithms involved to achieve robustly.

Peace,

Matt.