Tony

I am with you on this - it is the students who will lose out but ultimately that will happen anyway. My personal view is similar to your response to your previous job - leave. However, the last time that I did that the students suffered as probably was the case when you left your previous role.

Personally the thing that I find hardest is the gradual erosion of improvements that we had previously put in place to the point where things have now reached an unacceptable level for the students.

Regards

Duncan

Duncan Buck
Exams Co-ordinator
Herefordshire & Ludlow College
DDI: 01432 365315
Int: x315
Group Email: [log in to unmask]
Please remind students that NO Mobile Phones, iPods, MP3/4 players, or any device with electronic storage are to be taken into examination rooms, and that Photo ID has to be shown for all examinations

>>> Tony McIlroy <[log in to unmask]> 29/04/2014 11:36 >>>

I see where you are coming from Colin as working dedicated hours would show that there is a clear shortfall in manpower. However, once again, the only people that are really affected by this are the students!!!

We all know that SMT will not take responsibility for any errors or omissions in exams and all of the blame and responsibility will be passed to the exams team. And while we can argue this directly with the SMT the bottom line is the learners are disadvantaged. This basically puts us between a rock and a hard place.

I am very fortunate at the college I am at now that I have a large team of people, however, I have first-hand experience of an insurmountable role as my previous role in a school of 1300 students covered the following:

Exams (all types internal and external) - half an assistant here
Health and safety officer
Community engagement officer
Data Manager - 1 assistant here
Premises manager (estates) including managing caretaking team and catering staff
Educational Visits co-ordinator
10 periods a week (out of 25 periods) in the internal exclusion room
2 duties per day totalling 1 hour 30 minutes
Fundraiser (both informal and formal funding applications)
Administration Manager - front office staff
Timetabler
MIS Manager

It was fun to say the least, so I do sympathise with those who are expected to do the impossible!

Tony McIlroy
Team Manager - Exams
Derby College, 2 Roundhouse Road, Pride Park, DERBY, DE24 8JE
Telephone: 0300 1237890 |Ext. 4021 |