Since I just did exactly what John warned against, I copy my reply below:

**** To Baldur:

I recommend you look at Swales' descriptions of integrative and nonintegrative citations in either Genre Analysis or Research Genres -- for your own information.

However, like you, I can't recall any "authority" ever discussing exactly what you describe students doing (and which I've also observed, and not just with students): confusion over handling an extended bit of information from the same source or commentary on that single source.

But since this pattern is pretty common in certain fields (philosophy, literary criticism, some branches of history), it's not too hard for us to extrapolate and tell developing authors in other fields what to do about placing the references. (In certain fields, citing several data-rich sources for a single conclusion is far more common.)

Here's what I say about cite placement, leading into what to do when information from a single source extends over several sentences:

- Cites should be tied to specific affirmations -- even several in one sentence -- whether integrative or nonintegrative.

But sometimes you want to spend more time on a single source. Since you still have to tie the cite to a specific affirmation -- even the first of many to come -- be sure the FIRST affirmation/information carries the cite because the reader wants to know you're discussing XXX right from the start:

- Locate the start of information from the source (facts, opinions, whatever) from the source. Cite at that point (either integrative or nonintegrative cites).

- After that, use natural phrasing to signal that you're still deriving information or ideas from the same source (for instance, "the authors also found that...." or "another issue xxx raised was whether...." and so on).

- If you're still citing the same source when you change paragraphs, the cite needs to be worked in again.

The main mistake the confused (young?) authors make is that they don't bother to put the cite at the beginning. They wait until they're "finished." What they need to do is move the cite up to the front of the discussion and then write about it naturally. A problem we have when working with authors in the sciences is that they don't do this type of writing often enough to get the hang of it -- and often not until they're at the height of their careers.

But handling the cites this way actually makes it easier for them to weave their own thoughts into the prose in interesting ways.

I'm not sure there's an "authority" to cite on this, but you can find lots of examples in prose that's better written than my email!