From: Critical Sexology [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Sally Hines [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 17 April 2014 10:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CRITSEX] Sexgen Seminar  Transforming Citizenships? May 30th  2014, 1-6pm, Newcastle University

Dear Colleagues,

Please find attached the flyer for the May sexgen seminar, which will be held at Newcastle University. Programme and registration details are also below.

Seminar 4, Friday May 30th 2014 1-6pm Transforming Citizenships?

School of Geography, Politics and Sociology, and the Gender Research Group, Newcastle University.

The event is free but places are limited so early registration required.

To register for the seminar please email Emily Nicholls: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

'sexgen' is a collaborative interdisciplinary network bringing together gender and sexuality based research centres around the North of England. We aim to bring academic research, writing and thinking on gender and sexuality into conversation with the ideas, cultural expressions and knowledges of community groups, cultural sites and activist organisations. Series organising contacts are: Sally Hines (Centre for Interdisciplinary Gender Studies, University of Leeds: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and Surya Monro (Centre for Research in Social Sciences, University of Huddersfield: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

We would be grateful if you could publicize 'sexgen' amongst your networks.

We look forward to seeing you at future events

******

Programme

Sexgen Seminar 4:  Transforming Citizenships?
Friday May 30th, 2014
Research Beehive, Newcastle University
1.00-6.00 p.m.

The relationship between sexuality, gender and citizenship, and the construction of concepts of sexual and intimate citizenship, has become an important field of inquiry across a number of disciplines. How have transformations in citizenship in arising from social and legislative change advancing LGBT equalities initiatives impacting on these debates? What are the limitations to current conceptualisations of sexual/intimate citizenship? This seminar  explores some of the key contemporary issues that cut across citizenship studies and social and political theory more broadly, including processes of normalisation and the production of  new ‘others’,  the disciplinary requirements of citizenship (the costs of recognition) and the ways in which majorities/minorities are constructed in relation to one another.

Arrivals and coffee (12.30-13.00)

Session One (13.00- 15.00)

Introductions: Diane Richardson and Janice McLaughlin (Newcastle University)

Sally Hines (University of Leeds) Gender Diversity, Recognition and Citizenship: Towards a Politics of Difference.

Julieta Vartabedian (University of Barcelona; Leverhulme Visiting Fellow, Newcastle University) Seeking Recognition: Empowered Beauty among Brazilian Travesti Sex Workers.

Michael Richardson (Newcastle University) A Case for Digital Citizenship: Men, Monsters and Everyday Terrorists.

Coffee Break (15.00-15.30)

Session Two (15.30- 16.45)

Diane Richardson (Newcastle University) Queering Sexual Citizenship.

Edmund Coleman-Fountain (University of York) Fusing the Personal and the Political: What Lesbian and Gay Youth Identities has Citizenship Made?

Discussion and close (16.45-17.00)

Reception and Book Launch (17.00-18.00)