Dear all

The following is a repeat of an announcement I posted last week. THERE IS ONE IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE. All applications have to be made through the Northeastern Human Resources website. I cannot process applications sent directly to me. I apologise to those of you have already sent me materials! The positions are not advertised on the website as of this moment but I am assured they will be up in the next few days. There is no absolute deadline for this but we need to get moving quickly. I will make a first sift of applications on Monday 5 May.

Best
Tim Cresswell

POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS – Living in the Mobility Transition.

The Humanities Center and International Affairs Program, Northeastern University, Boston, USA

Candidates with a strong background in research on mobilities and/or transport are invited to apply for two 24 month post-doctoral fellowships which will be held at Northeastern University  in Boston. The research concerns envisaged mobility futures across 14 countries. The positions will involve considerable travel and significant periods spent in (at least) three countries.  Researchers from a range of disciplines including (but not limited to) human geography, sociology, transport studies, anthropology and planning are invited to apply. A familiarity with mobilities focused research is essential.

There are two positions available (two more to follow based at Royal Holloway, University of London):

All of the successful individuals will work on the Living in the Mobility Transition project, a 1.0 million dollar, 2-year project funded by the Mobile Lives Forum, an office of SNCF – the French national railway company. Two successful individuals will work with Professor Tim Cresswell, Professor of History and International Affairs and Associate Director of the Humanities Institute at Northeastern University, Boston, USA. They will be part of a team of six as two further positions will soon be advertised at Royal Holloway, University of London working under the supervision of Professor Peter Adey. Primary responsibilities will include conducting surveys of planned, imagined and emerging mobility futures across 14 countries. You will be responsible for leading these surveys in three countries. Research will involve documentary and visual analysis as well as interviews with key planners, think tanks members, activists and other stakeholders, with the potential to use innovative and creative methods of engagement.
Opportunities for collaboration and co-authorship as well as presentations in key conferences will be part of this position. Candidates must be willing to base themselves in Boston, travel frequently and spend extended periods in the countries they are responsible for. These may include Canada, Brazil, Chile, Germany, Norway, Portugal, Senegal, South Africa, India, Singapore (or UAE), Taiwan (or Vietnam), Australia, Japan.

The appointments for all positions will be for 24 months starting June 1st 2014 or as soon as possible after that. In addition to salaries, travel and subsistence is provided in addition to funds for meetings and conferences. Successful candidates will be provided with office space and computing facilities.

Qualifications

• Ph.D. degree obtained in geography, sociology, anthropology,  transport studies, or a closely related discipline.

• Knowledge of current work in mobility and/or transport research.

• Strong writing skills in English

? Experience of qualitative methodologies including documentary research, visual analysis and interviewing.

? Language skills are strongly preferred – including French, Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, German.

To apply, send:

• A letter of application

• A curriculum vitae

• A sample of written work in English

• Two letters of reference (one of which must be from the thesis adviser)

Applications can also be made through the Northeastern University HR website at http://www.northeastern.edu/cssh/faculty-positions/