Dear colleagues

A trade union has contacted me (see below). The union is wanting to work
with academics and lawyers to put together new legislation on agency
workers. They are wanting to get something in the Labour Party manifesto
(not the full drafted legislation of course as there isn't much time
before this is produced). As such, they are looking for anyone who has
done any work in this area to assist. Do you know who is doing work in
this area that might be willing to help - or do you know the literature
in this field?

If so can you let me know and I will put you in contact?
best wishes
Jane

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the email, regarding our conversation;

We want to introduce a piece of legislation regarding Agency workers (this is outside of the agency worker regs). We have a number of specific examples of how working people are being  exploited due to the excessive use of employment agencies, rather than being offered permanent employment.

  For example Sports Direct uses 5000 agency workers on one site, while only employing 300 permanent staff. These agency workers have little or no rights and a subjected to some harrowing treatment. Although many have worked at Sports Direct through an agency for over six years their security is still on a knife edge.

We intend to try and get agreement to introduce into  the Labour party manifesto a piece of legislation that curbs the excesses and worst abuses of Agency workers.  This would be with a view to looking at a combination of time employed and ratio of agency to permanent employees.

We have the evidence of the abuses, but would really value some input on how this legislation could look. Have you or any of your colleagues worked on/researched something similar to this? As any help would be greatly valued.

--
Professor Jane Holgate
Professor of Work and Employment Relations

Work and Employment Relations Division
Leeds University Business School
31 Lyddon Terrace (room 2.05)
University of Leeds LS2 9JT