Hello Anna,
My (brief) response to this is two-fold.

On the one hand it is true that small voluntary (voluntarist) groups can be riven by conflicts.  There seem to be sevaral reasons for this, including the lack of the institutional embedding that constrains possibilities in other organisational contexts, and the use of such organisations ot meet individual needs.  This latter can also lead to an ineffectiveness because the organisation or group becomes a too comfortable place, serving people's social needs rather than focussing on its supposed mission.

But I'm a bit reluctant to psychologise the issues - transition groups and similar social movement organisations are orientated to large scale social change and I'm distrustful of approaches that divert attention inwards.  In my experience, the internal political issues can generally be handled through a clear focus on what the organisation is there to do and what its strategy and plan is, and bythe use of explicit groundrules that act as a reference point for standards of interactions within the organisation.

Having said that, these movements are trying also to construct a different community ethic and it does make sense to focus on how that might be different.

But the really big challenge is to scale up suficiently so that real systemic change happens!

Mark Burton