My comments:

Such observation is very uncommon for metals involved in catalysis by
proteins. I have seen quite a few such structures involving Mg, Ca, Fe,
Mn, Zn and most of the radiation damage was not at the catalytic metal. In
case of Fe once I noticed slight shift in the position of the Fe ion upon
exposure.
The only metal ion that was significantly affected is Hg, and this was
observed in multiple cases.

We published results of radiation damage as a function of temperature
going down up to 15K. There was some overall reduction of radiation
damage, by about factor of 1.7; however, the most of the impact was away
from the catalytic site. As a result, relative radiation damage was MORE
concentrated at the catalytic site. Metals (Ca and Mn) were not
particularly affected at any temperature.

We observed that nitrate and iodine scavenge radicals help reduce specific
radiation damage. However, increased X-ray absorption by iodine does makes
overall situation worse and impact of nitrate was observed only at
relatively low doses (up to 2 MGy).  Kmetko at all. (2011) were negative
about potential of using scavengers in general, including ascorbic acid.

Data collection wavelength does not matter! It is an urban legend that
shorter wavelength will help. I remember it being debunked two decades
ago, and somehow it is still alive.

Zbyszek Otwinowski

> Dear Dean,
>
> this is probably a very common observation: X-rays produce reducing
> electrons and as you reduce a metal I imagine it does not like its
> chemical environment as much as it did highly charged.
>
> Everything you can do to avoid radiation damage should help you
> prevent the ion to disappear:
> - - optimise your strategy to collect a minimal amount of data
> - - add vitamin C
> - - cool below 100K
> - - collect at short wavelength
>
> When your ion is intended to be used for phasing there are of course
> restraints limiting the choice.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>

> On 04/30/2014 12:33 PM, Dean Derbyshire wrote:
>> Hi all, Has anyone experienced catalytic metal ions disappearing
>> during data collection ? If so, is there a way of preventing it?
>> D.
>>
>> Dean Derbyshire Senior Research Scientist
>> [cid:image001.jpg@01CF6470.5FA976D0] Box 1086 SE-141 22 Huddinge
>> SWEDEN Visit: Lunastigen 7 Direct: +46 8 54683219
>> www.medivir.com<http://www.medivir.com>

> This transmission is intended for the person to whom or the entity to
> which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
> not the intended recipient, please be notified that any dissemination,
> distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received
> this transmission in error, please notify us immediately.
>> Thank you for your cooperation.
>>

> - --
> - --
> Dr Tim Gruene
> Institut fuer anorganische Chemie
> Tammannstr. 4
> D-37077 Goettingen
>
> GPG Key ID = A46BEE1A

Zbyszek Otwinowski
UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
Tel. 214-645-6385
Fax. 214-645-6353