Hi Fellows,

because confusion is becoming a popular search term on the bb, let me admit to one more:

What is the proper class name for the 65 space groups (you know, those):

Are

(a)    these 65 SGs the chiral SGs and the 22 in the 11 enantiomorphic pairs the enantiomorphic SGs?

Or

(b)   the opposite?

In other words, is (a) enantiomorphic a subclass of  chiral or (b) chiral a subclass of enantiomorphic?

Small molecule crystallography literature seems to tend to (b) whereas in macro I often find (in terms of number of class members) chiral > enantiomorphic. Interestingly, did not find an authoritative definition in ITC-A.

Logical is neither. The 65 are perhaps enantiostatic because they do not change handedness (as opposed to enantiogen), and the 22 are enantiodyadic (or so). I am sure Tassos will enlighten us on that one….

So, (a) or (b) or ?

Happy Easter, BR