Seeing the diffuse streaking threads that have cropped up recently got
me to thinking about many of the DNA data sets we have collected on. We
always see diffuse streaking along lattice lines.

See images:

http://vespa.chem.umd.edu/~paul/hex_streak01.png
http://vespa.chem.umd.edu/~paul/hex_streak02.png
http://vespa.chem.umd.edu/~paul/hex_streak03.png

My original interpretation of this as fiber diffraction from alignment
of DNA bases came after reading Doucet et al. Nature 337, 190-192 and
seeing that the streaks start at around 3.4A and orientation of the
helical portions of the structure are perpendicular to the six-fold. I
didn't really give it much more thought till seeing the threads about
diffuse streaking. These show up even in crystals that diffract to
higher resolution than the one shown in the images. I wonder if this is
actually something else given that they are along lattice lines? Opinions?

--paul