Dear Dean,

this is probably a very common observation: X-rays produce reducing
electrons and as you reduce a metal I imagine it does not like its
chemical environment as much as it did highly charged.

Everything you can do to avoid radiation damage should help you
prevent the ion to disappear:
- - optimise your strategy to collect a minimal amount of data
- - add vitamin C
- - cool below 100K
- - collect at short wavelength

When your ion is intended to be used for phasing there are of course
restraints limiting the choice.

Regards,
Tim

On 04/30/2014 12:33 PM, Dean Derbyshire wrote:
> Hi all, Has anyone experienced catalytic metal ions disappearing
> during data collection ? If so, is there a way of preventing it?
> D.
>
> Dean Derbyshire Senior Research Scientist
> [cid:image001.jpg@01CF6470.5FA976D0] Box 1086 SE-141 22 Huddinge
> SWEDEN Visit: Lunastigen 7 Direct: +46 8 54683219
> www.medivir.com<http://www.medivir.com>

This transmission is intended for the person to whom or the entity to
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended recipient, please be notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error, please notify us immediately.
> Thank you for your cooperation.

- --
- --
Dr Tim Gruene