--

*Marie M. Yoshida*

Asian Dynamics Initiative

*University of Copenhagen*

Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 18

1353 Copenhagen K

DIR +45 35329521

www.asiandynamics.ku.dk

[image: KU (FA og tværgående)_bomaerke_UK]

*CALL FOR PAPERS *
6th International Conference

*Intra-Asian Connections: Interactions, flows, landscapes*

22-24 October 2014 - Asian Dynamics Initiative - University of Copenhagen

Much scholarship on and in Asia is compartmentalized in subcontinents
(South, East, Southeast, Central Asia) and - within these larger regions -
in individual country studies (e.g. China, Japan, India, Indonesia). This
is understandable, given the investment it takes for non-Asians to learn
languages and build effective research networks. But 'Asia' as we know it
today is the result of myriad, multidirectional flows: economic, political,
military, cultural, religious. In spite of 'hard', modern borders, such
flows still define much of Asia. We only have to think about Chinese
manufactured goods, Japanese investments, Korean soap operas, Nepalese
Gurkhas, various diasporas with their feet in 'host' and 'home' countries,
or transnational ethnic and religious movements to bring these to mind.
Even today, Asian landscapes, ethnoscapes and ideoscapes are continuously
remade, and centres and peripheries rearranged, through processes of
capitalist expansion, globalization and regional integration, and the flow
and circulation of people, ideas and objects. Obviously, this is not a
one-directional process and attention should be given to the agency of
actors in various localities to engage with transnational connections.

In this conference, we invite panels and participants to explore
interactions and flows within Asia. We emphasize intra-Asian connections in
order to highlight the historical contingency of modern borders and hence
of area studies themselves. Without abandoning the attention to detailed
empirical (ethnographic and historical) research focusing on single
regions, we encourage topical papers that situate localized phenomena in
intra-Asian flows or that focus on cross-border interactions, spanning
various disciplines and historical eras. Through comparative and
cross-border perspectives we seek out opportunities to rethink the 'maps in
our minds'; to theorize alternative temporalities, spatialities and
modernities that emerge when Asia is not simply cast in opposition to the
West; and to seek alternative epistemological grounding in
conceptualizations of interactions, flows, and more dynamic landscapes.

We invite abstracts reflecting the conference theme, but especially welcome
perspectives relating to one of the following panels envisaged for the
conference (click on title for panel description):

   1. Travel along the Silk
Roads<http://asiandynamics.ku.dk/english/intra_asian_connections/panels/1/>
   2. Maritime Territorial Disputes: China and its
Neighbours<http://asiandynamics.ku.dk/english/intra_asian_connections/panels/2/>
   3. Governing Landscapes across
Asia<http://asiandynamics.ku.dk/english/intra_asian_connections/panels/3/>
   4. Centering Southeast Asia from the outside
in<http://asiandynamics.ku.dk/english/intra_asian_connections/panels/4/>
   5. Popular Cultures in and of and out of
Asia<http://asiandynamics.ku.dk/english/intra_asian_connections/panels/5/>
   6. Intra-Asia connection in a Changing
Arctic<http://asiandynamics.ku.dk/english/intra_asian_connections/panels/6/>
   7. Asian Concepts of
Development<http://asiandynamics.ku.dk/english/intra_asian_connections/panels/7/>
   8. Civil Society in Asia reconsidered: Rights, Governmentality and
   Inclusion of the
Disadvantaged<http://asiandynamics.ku.dk/english/intra_asian_connections/panels/8/>
   9. States of Lack and Dynamics of Emptiness and Fullness in China and
   Asia<http://asiandynamics.ku.dk/english/intra_asian_connections/panels/9/>
   10. Economic Integration in
Asia<http://asiandynamics.ku.dk/english/intra_asian_connections/panels/10/>

Abstracts (no more than 250 words), title, name, affiliation and intended
panel (if applicable) should be submitted to Marie Yoshida

Deadline for submitting abstracts: 20 May 2014

Notification of acceptance: 30 June 2014

Confirmed keynote speakers:

   - Professor Prasenjit
Duara<http://www.nus.edu.sg/dpr/aboutus/management_duara.html>,
   National University of Singapore
   - Professor Shalini
Randeria<http://graduateinstitute.ch/directory/_/people/randeria>,
   Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies Geneva
   - Professor Willem van
Schendel<http://www.uva.nl/en/about-the-uva/organisation/staff-members/content/s/c/h.w.vanschendel/h.w.van-schendel.html>,
   University of Amsterdam
   - Professor Adam T.
Smith<http://anthropology.cornell.edu/people/detail.cfm?netid=ats73>,
   Cornell University

Please visit the conference website for more information and the full call
for abstracts

http://asiandynamics.ku.dk/english/intra_asian_connections/

--

Dr Sarah Dauncey

British Academy Mid-Career Fellow & Lecturer in Chinese Studies
School of East Asian Studies
University of Sheffield
http://www.shef.ac.uk/seas/

Honorary Secretary, British Association for Chinese Studies
Co-Editor, Journal of the British Association for Chinese Studies (JBACS)
http://www.bacsuk.org.uk/
Disability Studies at the University of Sheffield:
http://disabilityuos.wordpress.com/
6-8 Shearwood Road
Sheffield, S10 2TD
United Kingdom