s explained on Google support, the “mute” button will hide all future messages in the conversation—but not delete them, should you ever one day desire to confront the darkness you once avoided. Why Google gave such a powerful tool such a slight (though appropriate) name and tucked it under the “more” menu, I don’t know. But I know better than to question the gift.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/04/09/reply_all_email_chain_fail_the_email_trick_to_help_you_avoid_them.html

http://slate.me/1sJqwfv
http://slate.me/1sJqwfv+

--