From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kate Parr
Sent: 03 April 2014 11:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Copying complete published works

***Apologies for cross-posting***

Dear All,

We've just had an enquiry from a user that has raised a question I feel I have been dodging for a while!

Here at the Heritage Centre we have a combined archive and local studies library, with a Research Service which nominally satisfies enquiries to both.  Our enquirer is asking for a complete copy, photocopy or digital, of one of our books.  He hasn't stated what he wants it for, but his other enquiries seem to be around family history.  The book was published in the 1890s.

My question is do other libraries  allow full copies to be made of published works, either by the visitor in person or remotely and sent to them?  Had this been an archive item there would be no problem in providing a complete copy providing they were willing to pay for the staff time in re-producing it.  There is no copyright stand to be taken as the author died in 1917 but I am still reluctant to allow complete copies of library books to made.  Do I have the right to say that the visitor can have a copy as long as it isn't for publication?   I don't think i do, but I'd still like some advice!

Many thanks

Kate Parr
Archives & Local Studies Supervisor
Somerset Heritage Centre