Van: The archaeobotany mailing list [[log in to unmask]] namens Elizabeth Huckerby [[log in to unmask]]
Verzonden: maandag 7 april 2014 13:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: Flax processing waste

Hi Liz
OA North looked at some wpr samples from a site at Heronbridge, near Chester  for the Chester Archaeology Society. We sent the report to David Mason, who is the County Archaeologist at Durham now. The samples from what was thought to be a Roman defensive ditch contained vast numbers of flax seeds, capsules and regularily sized stem fragments. We dated some seeds from 2 contexts and the an averaged mean of the two dates was  cal AD 680-890 (1238±28BP). The two dates were cal AD 650-830 (1285±40BP; SUERC-3764 and cal AD 760-980 (1190±40BP; SUERC-3765.

I wonder if the following was the paper that Ruth mentioned:

Cox, M, Chandler, J, Cox, C, and Tinsley, H, 2001 The archaeological significance of patterns of anomalous vegetation on a raised mire in the Solway Estuary and the processes involved in their formation, J Archaeol Sci, 18, 1-18

Elizabeth