Hi Liz,

I'm aware of the following instances in the Anglo-Saxon record, encountered whilst researching for my thesis, which may be of relevance:

- Westbury-by-Shenley: see J. Letts p.424 in Ivens et al. 1995. 'Tattenhoe and Westbury. Two deserted medieval settlements in Milton Keynes' (Aylesbury).

- Yarnton: see M. Robinson in Hey ed. 2004 'Yarnton' (Oxford Archaeology), at pp.367 and 408.

- St Aldate's, Oxford: see Brown pp.170-2 in Durham 1977. 'Archaeological Investigations in St Aldate's, Oxford', Oxoniensia 42, pp.83-203.

- Dorney: see R. Pelling's report on the CD-ROM in Foreman et al. 2001. 'Gathering the people, settling the land' (Oxford Archaeology).

- Brandon: see Murphy's paper in J. Rackham ed. 1994 'Environment and Economy in Anglo-Saxon England' (CBA Res Reports).

More generally, I also found this useful:
Troldtoft Andresen, S & Karg, S 2011. 'Retting pits for textile fibre plants at Danish prehistoric sites dated between 800 BC and AD1050', Veg Hist Archbot 20, pp.517-526.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Mark

Mark McKerracher, St Cross College, Oxford, OX1 3LZ
Candidate for DPhil Archaeology
"Farming Unearthed"