              University of Edinburgh
              School of Mathematics    and BioSS

                               Statistics seminar

Thursday 3 April, 3:10pm, JCMB5327

  Marjan Sjerps (University of Amsterdam)

"How strong is the evidence?"

Abstract: Forensic statistics is concerned with questions like: how can we
evaluate the strength of forensic evidence like DNA profiles or shoe
prints, how can we derive the combined evidential strength and how can
we communicate this to a lay judicial decision maker (a judge or jury
member)? In this talk I will focus on various topics that caused some
debate, such as the way to combine evidence and the way that sampling
uncertainty affects the evidential value. I will present these topics in
the context of shoeprint evidence in a real criminal case that took
place in the Netherlands.

  This seminar is a part of Maxwell Institute seminar series.

  Website: http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/events/statistics

A reminder about Valerie Isham's talk at the School of Mathematics
Colloquium tomorrow.

Friday  4 April 4:10pm (JCMB5215) Valerie Isham (University College
London) "Stochastic modelling in hydrology"

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

SIGNOFF allstat