I agree Dorothea Bate - inspirational re. first woman to work as a scholar in Natural History Museum London (and much fieldwork), and - although it obviously wasn’t called zooarchaeology at the time – addressed questions of climate change, fauna and humans…

Plus Caroline Grigson and Juliet Clutton-Brock have been, and still are, personal inspirations.

Louise

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jacqui Mulville
Sent: 06 March 2014 12:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Women in Zooarchaeology

Hello,

I am off to a conference to speak on women in archaeology and so I have been reflecting on my career path and that of other women in zooarchaeology.  I would welcome suggestions from  the community of ZOOARCH women as to their role models, and any reflections as to whether zooarchaeology is different to tradtional archaeology in terms of the gender balance.

At present I am looking at this from my own British perspective, where women such as Barbara Noddle, Caroline Grigson,  Juliet Clutton-Brock, Jenny Coy, Jennifer Bourdillion and Dale Serjeantson all provided me with zooarchaeological role models.

So who inspired you? And is zooarchaeology a good place to pursue a career as a woman?  Please reply on or off list.

(Also feel free to have a similar conversation about other groups within our discipline)

Best wishes,

Dr Jacqui Mulville

0044 29208 74427

Reader in Bioarchaeology,