Dear Zooarchers,

One of my students of the masters in Osteoarchaeology (http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/postgraduate/masters/courses-available/osteoarchaeology) would like to work on a Scandinavian-based project for her dissertation.  She has identified two generic areas where she would be interested in working - the use of animals in Viking (or perhaps also other Scandinavian) rituals and the exploitation of reindeer by nomadic or somewhat mobile populations. I was wondering whether any of you had suggestions about potential material for study that is somewhat related to these research themes. The masters dissertation project only lasts for about three months, between June and early September, therefore we would not be looking for a large scale type of analysis. We would also consider material that has already been studied and that we could re-analyse by approaching it with a different angle.

Many thanks in advance
to anybody who could provide any suggestions/support.

Best wishes,
Umberto

--
Umberto Albarella
Department of Archaeology
University of Sheffield
Northgate House
West Street
Sheffield S1 4ET
United Kingdom
Telephone: (+) 44 (0) 114 22 22 943
Fax: (+) 44 (0) 114  22 25 109
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/archaeology/people/albarella
For MSc in Osteoarchaeology see:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/postgraduate/masters/courses-available/osteoarchaeology
For Zooarchaeology short course see:
For Archaeologists for Global Justice (AGJ) see:
http://agj.group.shef.ac.uk/

"only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught we will realise we cannot eat money"