Yes, that helps. How's this (and attached)? P.

23/4/14 University of Keele

The Great Training Robbery x 2: Apprenticeships and the Future of Higher Education

More than 20 years ago Claire Wallace and Jill Jones (of Keele) suggested young people were being divided into two official categories: students and trainees. This presentation revisits this suggestion in the light of government’s latest resuscitation of ‘apprenticeships’ and also Ivar Berg’s Education and Jobs, The Great Training Robbery which noted, ‘America fools many of its young by linking job opportunities to diplomas and degrees from schools that provide sometimes pitifully inadequate – indeed appalling – experiences’ (1974, 29). Neither higher education nor training offer transition from ‘prolonged youth’ for today’s Lost Generation and this constitutes a crisis confronting the whole future of society.

Patrick Ainley

Professor of Training and Education at the University of Greenwich School of Education and Training (as was)

Co-author with Martin Allen of Lost Generation? New strategies for youth and education, London: Continuum 2010 http://www.continuumbooks.com/books/detail.aspx?BookId=157236&SearchType=Basic

FREE DOWNLOAD (2013) Education Beyond the Coalition, Reclaiming the Agenda edited with Martin Allen 182 pp, (£6.99 hard copy), ISBN 978-0-9575538-2-80 AND

The Great Reversal, Young People, Education and Employment in a Declining Economy with Martin Allen 124 pp, (£4.99 hard copy), ISBN   978-0-9575538-0-4,

from www.radicaled.wordpress.com

Find me on Facebook as [log in to unmask] and Twitter as Olloverkrumwall

plus see my webpage/ blog with Martin Allen at http://radicaled.wordpress.com/ and http://eduthinkpolicy.blogspot.co.uk/

Motto: Excrementum semper concitandum

End