I believe that the last time I tried using LDAP it was working; try
making the following changes:

1.  inc_global.php: ensure the following line is not commented out:

$LOGIN_AUTHENTICATORS[] = 'LDAP';

2.  inc_global.php: replace the following lines:

$LDAP__INFO_REQUIRED = array('displayname','mail','sn');
// Name of attribute to use to check user type (via function below)
define('LDAP__USER_TYPE_ATTRIBUTE', 'description');

with

// Mapping of LDAP server attribute names (WebPA name => LDAP attribute
name)
$LDAP_INFO_PARAMETERS = array('forename' => 'displayname',
                               'lastname' => 'sn',
                               'email'    => 'mail'
                              );
(Note that the above LDAP attribute names may need to be adjusted to fit
the names used by your LDAP server.  For example, I think I had to use
"givenname" for "displayname" for one LDAP server.)

3. inc_global.php: delete the get_LDAP_user_type() function.

4.  class_ldap_authenticator.php: replace with the attached copy.

Stephen