There are a couple of places still available on this free workshop on friday and saturday in Birmingham. Please email [log in to unmask] if you'd like to come!

Dear all,on Friday 21st and Saturday 22nd March I will be leading a free workshop at mac in Birmingham entitled 'walk finds'.The workshop ties in to the 'Walk On' exhibition, currently at mac (http://www.macarts.co.uk/event/walk-on) which includes a display of found objects from walkwalkwalk’s archive. Collected between 2005 and 2010 from a specific route through Bethnal Green in the East End of London these objects create a portrait of a place, providing windows into its stories and histories.   This workshop will use the ‘Walk Finds’ piece as a starting point from which to explore the area of Birmingham immediately around the gallery, using walkwalkwalk’s research methods to collect, document, display and construct stories around objects found there.  Searching for ‘finds’ creates a different kind of looking and being in the city - observation, scanning, close to the ground, gleaning. Which in turn leads to encounters, engagement, adventures, stories - a 'turning over' or examination, literally. Finding is anti-commerce - we are inculcated/necessitated to buy as a way to exist in public space - the found object is a testament to this purchasing and consumption, its trace - but also proposes a challenge to the imperative to buy and own or choose. Finding is free, is random, possibly dirty, always unregulated!  Our walk, and the objects that we find, propose a different way to exist in the urban environment, one which seeks to look again at possibly familiar places, to uncover the overlooked and extraordinary that can be found in the marginal, obscure or discarded - be that 'street gems' on the roadside, or stunning views emerging from the grimiest corners.  Bringing these objects (and the stories, anecdotes and encounters that are generated in their finding) back into the gallery space we will explore how languages of display and frames of reference transform them, and how they might work together to construct an alternative portrait of a place.  Participants will have the opportunity to self-direct the second part of the workshop in which we will make a display of the objects, working to develop and document stories around them through drawing, writing and performance.
Participants must commit to both days of the workshop, booking priority will be given to ideas tap members (http://ideastap.com) but is open to all.
To book please email Jerrel Jackson [log in to unmask] and tell us why you are interested in attending and what you can bring to this lab.
hope to see some of you there,Clare
http://www.walkwalkwalk.org.uk/2ndlevelpages/FoundObjects.html
http://ideastap.com/opportunities/spaevent/Event/Walk-Finds--Visual-Arts-Lab-200214
Clare Qualmann