Dear Colleagues,

Please find attached and below an advertisement for PhD studentships in the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management at the University of Surrey, with an application deadline of May, the 2nd (Friday). I would be grateful if you could circulate this to any outstanding candidates you may know.

Best wishes,

Hania

Hania Janta, PhD

Senior Lecturer in Hospitality and Events

Head of Doctoral Programmes

School of Hospitality and Tourism Management

Faculty of Business Economics and Law

University of Surrey

Guildford GU2 7XH

09MS01

Tel: +44 (0) 1483 686339

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/shtm/people/hania_janta/index.htm

http://surrey.academia.edu/DrHaniaJanta

Hospitality and Tourism Management Postgraduate Research Studentships for PhD study

The School of Hospitality and Tourism Management at the University of Surrey is offering full-time doctoral (postgraduate research) studentships in Hospitality and Tourism starting in October 2014.

The studentships will cover tuition fees, and provide maintenance for a total of up to £14,340 pa*.

We are looking to recruit exceptional doctoral (PhD) students whose research interests complement our areas of research strengths to join our PhD programme (3 year studentship) and our Integrated PhD programme (3 years 9 months studentship).

Our PhD programme comprises approximately three years of full time study during which you will undertake a structured, supervised programme of scholarly research leading to a thesis that makes an original contribution to knowledge and is of a standard appropriate for publication in high-quality refereed journals.

Our Integrated PhD comprises 3 years 9 months of study and is designed for those who wish to develop a broad grounding in high level research methods and skills as part of their doctoral studies. It is particularly suited to those wishing to pursue an academic or research career, or those currently in academic posts. The Integrated PhD is completed in two sequential stages. Stage one comprises approximately nine months of full-time study including eight taught compulsory modules covering research methods, researcher skills and subject-specific knowledge and understanding. Stage two comprises approximately three years of full time study during which you will undertake a structured, supervised programme of scholarly research leading to a thesis that makes an original contribution to knowledge and is of a standard appropriate for publication in high-quality refereed journals.

As a member of the ESRC funded South East Doctoral Training Centre we offer excellent research training and the opportunity to be part of a vibrant research community that shapes agendas of scholarship and practice.

Successful candidates will normally have or expect to be awarded a first class (1st) Bachelors degree and have or expect to be awarded a minimum of distinction on their Masters degree in Hospitality/Tourism Management or related discipline. They will have outstanding research potential and enthusiasm to pursue research in an area consistent with our research expertise. Non-native speakers of English will normally require IELTS 7.0 or above with a minimum of 6.5 in each component (or equivalent).

*Maintenance comprises a stipend of £11,130 pa, a research training support grant of up to £750 pa, and demonstrating duties up to £2,460 pa.

Application Process

1/ Apply to study on our PhD programme at http://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/hospitalityandtourism/index.htm or on the Integrated PhD programme at http://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/hospitality-and-tourism-management-integrated-phd

2/ Further details of our research interests and the expertise of our academic staff are available at: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/shtm/index.htm

3/ In your application state clearly that you also wish to be considered for a School of Hospitality and Tourism Management PhD or Integrated PhD Research Studentship.

4/ Strong Studentship candidates will be invited to interview.

Please note:

To be considered for a Studentship you must be offered a place to study at the University.

Closing date for submissions wishing to be considered is Friday 2 May, 2014. Interviews will take place in late May.

Contacts for enquiries

Natasha Martin, Recruitment & Admissions Administrator, [log in to unmask]

Dr Hania Janta, Head of Doctoral Programmes, School of Hospitality and Tourism Management: [log in to unmask]