From: Zeidman, Peter [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 28 March 2014 11:47
To: Mason, Liam; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: VOI thresholding queries

Hi Liam,
You're choosing the voxels to include for individual subjects' ROIs, but I think you're saying your inference will be at the group level.

In which case, common practice is to just take all the voxels at the individual level corresponding to the group cluster, or alternatively, create single-subject rois (e.g. spheres) which vary in their centroid up to a fixed maximum distance from the group peak.

As for excluding some voxels, e.g. using a t-statistic equivalent to p < 0.5 or p < 0.1, my personal opinion is this is quite arbitrary, as you would not necessarily expect a voxel to have significant activation at the single subject level, even if it's part of the group peak. Others may have different opinions on this...

Best,
Peter.