Hello Panos and everyone

Thanks for the reference to Dave Crutchley and Alison Purvis’ work here at Sheffield Hallam Steve. We are currently reviewing our scheme, which has been successful over the years. PSR (with CPD and Appraisal) is a keystone in our accredited CPD Scheme. Our review aims to make this coherent peer enhancement approach more explicit. It needs to be patently understood as different to performance management. We want Peer Observation (as a set of methods) to be a regular dimension of Peer-Supported Review – it has lost its potency for some due a lot of other change happening - but now we want to remind colleagues more explicitly of the benefits of learning directly from each other’s practice – wherever that might happen and whatever it might involve. In some quarters ‘observation’ here is associated with performance management or monitoring. That’s not what we’re interested in with our scheme – though it has its place elsewhere on occasion perhaps. In this way we see observation being part of an iterative approach to P-SR or what we could call Peer Review & Enhancement.

So, inspired to some extent by Oxford Brooke’s PETAL, our challenge is to clearly situate P-SR, and POT, very much within an autonomous and supported ethos of peer enhancement. This is what we have always intended, but what we are now refreshing in the context of professional recognition and peer enhancement.

I think we expect understanding of a peer enhancement model to come out of our PG Cert, to generate essential evidence for promotion, and to be absolutely central to the evidence we look at in professional recognition panels.

Best wishes

Andrew

Andrew Middleton, SFHEA

Head of Innovation & Professional Development

Quality Enhancement & Student Success

Sheffield Hallam University

Tel: 0114 225 2613