Hi all--I'm wondering if anyone can direct me to any research or writing about the connection between early railway management and the armed forces.  It seems several of the early railway managers (Mark Huish comes to mind) had military backgrounds, and some of the procedures and management techniques of the first mainline railway companies had precedents in the armed forces; I'm sure I'm not the first to notice this, but have not yet run across any writing on the subject; I'd very much appreciate it if anyone could point me in the direction of any.

Many thanks in advance--Carolyn