Institute of Railway Studies & Transport History, York, UK

Research Workshops, Spring Term 2014

This is the final workshop of the current programme. The National Railway
Museum - which, to its credit, has been the sole funder of the series since
1995 - has announced that "plans for future workshops will be developed
following recruitment of the new Head Curator" over the next few weeks.

As I have now stepped down as head of the Institute, the workshop will be
chaired by a senior member of the NRM. I hope to see many faces, old and
new, at what promises to be an excellent (temporary) finale!

Colin Divall, Professor of Railway Studies, University of York

13.30-16.45 Wednesday 5th March 2014
* (IM)MOBILE POPULATIONS IN C19th BRITAIN*

Mark Casson (University of Reading)
'Railways and population growth: a case study of Birmingham and the West
Midlands'

Colin Pooley (Lancaster University)
'"Mrs H came home from Norwich... her pocket picked at the station and all
her money stolen": using life writing to recover the experience of travel
in the past'

All welcome. Refreshments served.

The workshop is planned to take place in the Edmondson Room, Search Engine
at the National Railway Museum. The NRM is about three minutes' walk from
the railway station, using the footbridge. Please use either the City or
Car Park entrances and tell the staff at the welcome desk that you are
attending the workshop.

Please note that NRM car-parking charges apply. Free disabled parking is
available near the public entrances.

This workshop is financed by the National Railway Museum.