List members may be interested in this initiative - our deadline for teacher and scientist registration is coming up on the 17th March!

GIFT teachers and EGU scientists: apply now to take part in I’m a Geoscientist, Get me out of here!

The EGU have entered into a collaboration with Gallomanor, a UK company that runs the events I’m a Scientist (Get me out of here) and I’m an Engineer (Get me out of here). The EGU are now funding a European-wide sister project called I’m a Geoscientist (Get me out of here) where we provide school students with the opportunity to meet and interact with real geoscientists!

The event takes the form of an online chat forum using an innovative online platform designed especially for the purpose of this event. School students log on and post questions to the scientists taking part, ranging from questions about their research to their favourite music. The scientists then log on and answer those questions. Based on their answers, students get to vote out scientists until there is one left – the best scientific communicator – who wins €500 for a new public-engagement project of their choice.

Our launch event is taking place from the 16th to 27th June 2014. If you would like to apply as a teacher or a scientist see the details below – deadline for all applications is 17th March 2014.

Teachers

To apply to take part in the event go to http://imageoscientist.eu/teachers and fill in the simple online form for teachers. Applications are open to all teachers who have taken part in a GIFT event (at any time). Successful teachers will be notified by the 24th March. You will need to use some class time before the event to prepare your students, but we have flexible lesson plans already prepared and the minimum class time you need is 1 hour.

Scientists

To apply to take part in the event go to http://imageoscientist.eu/geoscientists and fill in the simple online form for scientists.  Applications are open to all EGU members (if you are not a member you can register on the EGU website) from across Europe. Once applications close, we will ask the registered  school classes to judge the scientist applications and chose the final 5 scientists who will get to take part in the final event. Successful scientists will be notified by the 7th April.

--
Jane Robb
Educational Fellow

European Geosciences Union (EGU)
EGU Executive Office
Luisenstrasse 37
D-80333 MUNICH (Germany)

Website: www.egu.eu

Phone: +49 (0)89 2180 - 6519 -or- +49 (0)89 2180-6549 (Secretary)
Fax: +49 (0)89 2180-17855

E-mail: [log in to unmask] -or- [log in to unmask]

   EGU General Assembly 2014
Vienna, Austria 27 April - 02 May
  GIFT Workshops for Educators:
Registration open: http://goo.gl/dUPIyR

• set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages) • signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • Subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com