I gather that The Naked Scientist is not a charity.

Here is more evidence that the unpaid internship is wicked:

“How young people's lives have been destroyed by the cuts” | Money | The Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/mar/17/young-people-cuts-benefits-unemployment-housing

This also mentions charities. I don't know about anyone else, but the fact that an employer is a charity does not make this practice less smelly.

I wonder what the response would be if an arms maker ran recruited interns. Instead, they go out of their way to recruit adequately paid apprentices.

Apprenticeships - BAE Systems

http://www.baesystems.com/careers-rzz/careers-in-the-uk/apprenticeships?_afrLoop=413933255215000 <http://www.baesystems.com/careers-rzz/careers-in-the-uk/apprenticeships?_afrLoop=413933255215000&_afrWindowMode=0&_afrWindowId=null&baeSessionId=XfVvTyLMS2kh4VRHxmltchyXKBcDBKHhxwkFh51ynBsd2Gf2TJ19!-1646284472#> &_afrWindowMode=0&_afrWindowId=null&baeSessionId=XfVvTyLMS2kh4VRHxmltchyXKBcDBKHhxwkFh51ynBsd2Gf2TJ19!-1646284472#

or

http://tinyurl.com/nuo6rew

MK