Dear Cameron,

Thanks for the information. I have learned something new. Good reading awaits.

Best regards,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | University Distinguished Professor | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia | University email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | Private email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | Mobile +61 404 830 462 | Academia Page http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman About Me Page http://about.me/ken_friedman

Guest Professor | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| Adjunct Professor | School of Creative Arts | James Cook University | Townsville, Australia

--

Cameron Tonkinwise wrote:

—snip—

See below. But since ‘he says / she says’ is  unproductive, especially philology in the context of design, let me say that the reference to Ulmer  was also to suggest theory-making can also be  [not ‘is’ and certainly not ‘is only’] abductively  productive. In other words, there might be some-thing other than historical truth claims going on  when Ulmer writes the following articles:

Ulmer, Gregory L. “Theory Hobby Handbook: Lesson Ten.” in: Exposure 28. Society for Photographic Education. 1991, pp. 85-90.

Ulmer, Gregory L. “Theory Hobby: how-to-theory.” in: Art & Text 37. 1990, pp. 96-101.

Ulmer, Gregory L. “Handbook for a Theory Hobby.” in: Visible Language 22. 1988, pp. 399-422.

“Herodotus often appears as just such a “wondering stranger” or, as we would say, tourist (one gloss for theoria is “tourism”).” “Herodotus the Tourist” James Redfield Classical Philology , Vol. 80, No. 2 (Apr., 1985) , pp. 97-118

http://www.jstor.org/stable/270156

“Later on, theoros could also mean something like “tourist,” as in the context of Greeks visiting Egypt.” “Theoria” Ian Rutherford Encyclopedia of Ancient History

http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/9781444338386.wbeah17449

See also Eugene Walter’s discussion of theoria in the first chapter of the nice _Placeways: A Theory of the Human Environment_ (UNC, 1988)

—snip—