Dear Klaus,

There are obvious cultural badges involved with the idea that some people
attempt to deal with wicked and un-tame problems while others deal with
tame ones.

The people who applied the doppler effect to the satellite information
relating to the lost plane were obviously dealing with tame things. No
tigers jumped out of the data and bit off their noses. Or, a little less
colourfully, no wedding guest got waylaid by an Ancient Mariner which led
to a complete muck up to his plans.

My concern here is the potential over-valuation of one kind of activity
because it has moments of difficulty that one can complain about and ask
for more time and more money. That is, I am concerned about the designer
who overstates the wicked nature of their activities because lion tamers
get more money than scientists when they wear funny clothes and make wild
animals growl.

This over-valuation has its parallels in design with the over-valuation of
creativity, individuality, originality and just plain style.

Cheers

Badge-less keith